Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Holly Holly HollyHock

My dear friend Holly was diagnosed with Lupus 24 years ago. In 2008 she was hit very hard by this chronic, autoimmune disease. She was hospitalized for 3 months and it was very touch and go. The picture of Holly below was taken right after a surgery. Holly is a fighter and did not give up her battle with Lupus. I took the above photo of Holly today in her garden of vegetables & hollyhocks. All though Lupus has remissions and flares she has been fighting this like a hero for the past 24 years. Holly is truly a living miracle and her story should be an inspiration to us all.

Since Holly's surgery she has been feeling a bit down. Struggling with the issues Lupus has put on her body and soul. I have had the chance to talk to Ms Holly the past couple of weeks, and I just want her to know how beautiful she is both inside and out. She has made my saddest days brighter and my burdens seem much easier to manage after talking with her. Holly is the kind of friend that shows up at your doorstep bringing treats to sick ones, and the type of friend you can call on day or night. She is a ray of sunshine, and always a good time to be around. Friends like this are priceless! I thought we could all give her a little encouragement...I know when I am feeling down having friends gather round me always lifts my spirits and brings me back to my happy place.

Lupus strikes mostly women of childbearing age (15-44). However, men, children, and teenagers develop lupus, too. Lupus research is ongoing and is on the brink of discovering new treatment's and drugs that could lead to a cure. You can read more on Lupus here.

This is Holly, happy to be home having her daily cup of morning coffee. Holly recently quoted "If you're not living on the edge...you're taking up too much space." I think this is a very inspirational quote we could all apply somewhere in our lives. Holly has taught me that life is so short, Make the best of everyday and be grateful for every chance you have to live life to its fullest. To learn more about Holly click here. I love you girl, xo Alys

4 comments:

Tamara Jansen said...

Wow, you're a lucky girl to have such a wonderful friend! What a beautiful lady :)

Barb said...

What a heartfelt post Alys.
People come into our lives for a reason. Both of you are very lucky to have each other. I will pray for Holly. Lupus is a terrible disease but it sounds like Holly is a true fighter.

hugs,
Barb

Holly said...

Alys,
Thank you for your kind words on your blog...they are so very meaningful to me at this time in my life. Thank you for listening and the FABULOUS photos. You truly know your stuff. You are so very talented. Don't give this up, you have so much to give and many people benefit from what you do. You truly have a gift. Thank you so much, for your kind words of encouragement and the awareness regarding Lupus.

Weather Proofing Glen Burnie, MD said...

The last picture is so cool! Where only the flowers looked colored!

<3 Lindsay