Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mannequins...My Love

My love for antique & vintage dress forms dates back to a very early childhood memory. When I was a little girl I spent a great deal of time with my grandma. She worked in a sewing factory that was not far from her home. I remember the crowd of ladies talking about and all of the machines working so hard. I recall the chatter and busyness of this shop and how interesting I found my grandmothers place of work. I was sure, one day I would grow up and be just like her! I am positive she would tell you it was not interesting, and not so much fun, AT ALL...but to me with my bright eyes and eagerness to be just like her I thought this was the most perfect and facinating place to work in all of the world! My Grandma has always been my hero as I have said before...through her example my love for art, crafts, hard work, and sewing began.
My earliest memory in discovering my talents and hobbies were at the hands of my grandmother and her sewing machine. An old Singer machine that seemed to be very advanced and technical at the time, however now could use a major overload. She always had old scraps of fabric and spools of threads lying around that I could envision as dolls, pillows, or wall hangings. At the age of 8 she let me pull a couple pieces of fabric together and make the most beautiful pillow one has ever seen..."NOT",I am sure! But I was proud of it none the less and really felt accomplished and happy that I made this pillow. She was always confident & trustworthy of me and let me go at it with my novice skills. I was very proud and showed everyone, I really thought I was onto something Big, HUGE...I Planned on making these pillows and selling them globally by age 9! I went around to the local neighbors homes and peddled my pillows for a little extra money..."I guess I have always been an entrepreneur at heart, Who knew!" I saved this money earned from the neighbors pity and grace to go with my grandma to the local super market. Here I would buy myself a water weenie, some laffy taffy or something just as cool as it!


OK, Anyways...now that I have gotten lost on that tangent, I just have to say, Mannequins...My Love! I love them, I have them all over my home. You may come to my home and think it is a bit odd, and perhaps it is, but that is OK by me! I love them and have them almost in every room. From a display on my entertainment center with 6 dress forms to a simple yet understated dress form in my entry room. They speak to me of a time gone by, hard work, and imagination beyond what my eyes can see...
I hope you enjoy my dress forms and memories as much as I do, xo Alys

13 comments:

Jackie said...

Great memories - my grandma was seamstress too and influenced me. I love your dress forms!! I really want one, but they're hard to find. Beautiful pictures - I love how you have them all displayed.

TRES BELLE said...

What beautiful mannequins. You have them so elegantly dressed. I have one in my craft room that I purchased and have yet to "really" dress it properly. They are hard to find and mine could use some antiquing which I will try to do sometime soon.

Hope all is well with you and your family!

Kris

Maison Douce said...

I love dress forms, too!! Yours are beautiful!
Isabel

trash talk said...

What's not to love? Yours are fabulous. My husband just brought home another one for me-she's a beaut. Very well-endowed if you know what I mean! Debbie

Tutti Chic said...

Simply beautiful manequins & your love for your grandmother is touching! :) chris

cityfarmer said...

I've had some beauties in my day, but being a dealer, I sold them


oooooops.....wish i had 'em

gail at The Kramer Angle said...

I know how you feel about mannequins because I love them too! I recently bought my first one at an auction and I have named her Pearl. My friends don't "get" it, but I think she's fabulous and that's all that matters! You can check out my Pearl on my blog all dressed up for CHristmas. Just scroll down and you'll see her looking beautiful!

You've inspired me to find another one!

goooooood girl said...

i like your blog......

The Red Velvet Shoe said...

Your grandmother reminds me so much of mine, she too taught me to sew & aspire to be more. What a blessing to have had her, I miss her so! Your words reflect so much that we, too, shared.

Michelle

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

Great post. I love mannequins also. Maybe because my mom always sewed everything and made us all look like Haute Couture in small town Texas!

Hugs,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi,my name is Rebecca Wierzbicki. I have a site myself on the web, www.beckysrosecottage.com. to my point, I have wonderful, creative 9 yr old grand-daughter who wants a vintage child's or very small adult form to try and design clothes. Can you imagine at 9 wanting to do such a thing. If there is any was you can direct to such a vintage form I would be so grateful. My email is beckysrosecottage@comcast.net
cell phone 302-750-9597

The English Cottage Collection said...

What a wonderful post! I love dress forms too and have them in every room!! LOve the way you have embellished them ...it's so fun and can be ever changing. Debra

Me & My House said...

Okay, so I am in love with mannequins too...it's quite the infatuation and I am looking for one for my shop sales...would you happen to have one for sale? See my last post for a peek at what I am looking for. Desperate? Absolutely! LOL! Thanks for your post!

-Kennesha
www.menmyhouseblog.blogspot.com