Wednesday, September 17, 2008

French Antique Perfume Bottles Tutorial


I love decorating my home as you all know, and today I was working on a little project for my daughters bathroom. I thought it would be fun to share this idea with you! A very inexpensive way to bring a touch of French Romance to your space. You can use old or new bottles, however I love the patina the old bottles have.

Below I will give you all the steps you will need to create these lovely bottles in under 1 hour.

You will need:

  • Antique Bottles

  • Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue

  • Pure Bees Wax

  • Antique French Beauty Labels

  • MinWax Antique Rubbing Oil-Plantation Walnut

  • Assortment Cork Sizes

  • Bath Salts

  • Ribbon,Buttons & Embellishments The old French perfume labels are so beautiful and romantic and really give these old bottles a fresh & gorgeous look. I bought old bottles from a local antique store for around $2.00. You can easily find them online as well, but I wouldn't pay much more than a couple dollars each. The old bottles will require you to clean them, I put mine in the dishwasher and they did great. I like mixing it up with the shapes and sizes, however any size of bottle will work great.
    I filled my bottles with yummy smelling bath salts I had purchased here. You can buy them in a rainbow of colors which really adds a nice pop to the clear bottles. I purchased an assortment bag of corks from my local craft store. The wax I use is pure bees wax, you can also purchase it at any local craft store or here. I chose to seal my bottle tops with wax, however if you don't like working with wax you can easily just use the corks to seal. I love the old authentic feel the wax adds.
    I have scanned in several different antique French perfume labels for you to easily print out on your color printer. Click here to download and save them to your computer. Simply cut out and glue on your bottles with the Aleene's Tacky Clear glue.
    Embellish your bottles with old lace, ribbons and buttons. The more lace and bling the better in my book! I wrapped one of my bottles with a old strand of pearls and another bottle I added a vintage rhinestone pin with lace. Old jeweled earrings and buttons are great to use as well.

    After my labels were dry, About 30 minutes I took a paper towel and placed some of the MinWax gel on it and simply rubbed the labels to give them the antique look. This is one of my favorite discoveries Ever! I use the MinWax on everything, from paper to fabric, It is a great antiquing secret!
    I hope you have fun making these beautiful bottles for your home or for a friendship gift. If you decide to make these I would love to see a picture of how you embellished yours. Do leave me a comment or a photo. xo Alys

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!

Jess

RubyMay said...

How absolutely gorgeous. Thank you so much for the label download so that we can try our own.
I think your work is wonderful so I will definately be back x

Valerianas Studio said...

Thank you so much for sharing!!